December 16, 2021

The U.S. federal government currently uses a third-party website to obtain the numbers that uniquely identify different entities such as city governments, non-profits and corporations. The number is provided by Dun & Bradstreet and is known as a DUNS number.

By April of 2022, entities doing business with the federal government will begin to use a Unique Entity Identifier (SAM) created in Cities will no longer have to go to a third-party website to obtain their identifier number.

Current registrants have already been assigned their Unique Entity Identifier (SAM) and can view it within

To learn more about this transition and how to obtain your SAM number, go to:

SAM Number: Unique Entity Identifier Update