The On-site Wastewater Assistance Program (OSWAP) offers low-interest loans through participating lenders to rural homeowners for the replacement of inadequate or failing septic systems. According to Iowa law, all septic systems, regardless of when they were installed, must have a secondary wastewater treatment system following the septic tank.
- Applicants must own an existing home with a septic system in an unincorporated area (outside city limits) not served by a public sewer.
- Must reside in a participating county
- Approved systems include both a septic tank and secondary treatment system such as a leach field.
- Obtain a septic construction permit from county sanitarian.
- Complete an OSWAP approval form
- Apply for a loan through a participating lender. Please note, lenders may become a participating lender by following the simple steps provided here.
- Hire a septic contractor to complete the approved project.
- Loan amounts start at $2,000
- Terms up to 10 years
- Can fund up to 100% of actual costs, no up-front cash required
- 3% fixed interest for life of the loan
- Applications accepted on an ongoing basis
- Available through the lender of your choice