The Livestock Water Quality Program (LWQ) offers low-interest loans through participating lenders to Iowa livestock producers for projects to prevent, minimize or eliminate non-point source pollution of Iowa’s rivers and streams from animal feeding operations.
- Development of manure management plans
- Manure management structures
- Roofed manure storage structures
- Vegetative filters
- Assistance is limited to existing facilities for animal feeding operations with less than 1,000 total animal unit capacity (AUC).
- Prior to receiving a loan, the landowner must receive project approval from the local Soil & Water Conservation District.
- Local lender originates loans of $10,000 and above with a maximum term of 15 years, depending on the useful life of the project.
- The interest rate charged the borrower will not exceed 3%.
- IFA will deposit funds equal to the principal amount of the loan at 0% interest.
- The deposit does not guarantee the loan nor is it collateral for the loan. The deposit is only to reduce the interest rate charged to the borrower.
- Annually, IFA will withdraw from the deposit account an amount equal to the principal repayment of the outstanding loan. As a result, the amount in the deposit account will equal the principal outstanding on the loan.
- All costs directly related to the design, permitting, construction and financing of the water pollution control facilities are eligible. Costs for development of a manure management plan, nutrient management plan or comprehensive nutrient management plan are also eligible.
- The borrower works with the local Soil & Water Conservation District on the project. For more information on project eligibility or approval, contact Tony Toigo, 515-281-6148.
- The borrower will work with a local participating lender to complete the lender’s normal loan application process. IFA accepts new participating lenders on an ongoing basis, more information for lenders is available here.
- When the loan is approved by the local lender, the lender completes the online application.